Monday, September 24, 2012

NOT ATTENDING


Maxime Willems
LIFE BEHIND MY LENS



Chapter 3


                                                                                           
                                                             On September 9th it has been one year that I signed the contract for my apartment in Paris. But that's not the only step I took on that sunny Friday afternoon. On the very same day "LIFE BEHIND MY LENS" went online based on the first post "To whom it may concern". Since; I did publish more than 50 further posts based on about a hundred pictures, I officially run out of pictures last spring, I did pen and publish my deepest thoughts always trying not to turn myself inside out and I do have faithful readers.

When I look back on that first year in Paris many things have happened and foremost many things have changed. So did the blog. While the first six months I only did post a selection of pictures and thoughts from the past (which is pretty easy due to the huge stock of pictures and I had so much to tell), I had to turn the page and adapt myself to the situation of arriving in the present. Those who can read between the lines, they did observe the lack of drama in the more recent posts and that I did let go instead of holding on to things I cannot change anyway.

The hardest part is to maintain a blog and its style though you are changing. Today I am no longer willing or needing to share as much of my privacy, I no longer need to prove myself right and I am no longer attending every argument I am invited to. I had promised to myself that I would stray true to myself and I did :

This summer I have been questioning myself a lot. I even wondered if I should not simply close it as I did not really knew how to handle the change. I did ask others but that did not bring me much further as they were telling me what they would do (with good intentions of course) but that was not what I wanted. I did what I always do (and always do wrong), ask around in order to catch as many opinions in order to make the right choice. Until one day I just asked myself : "but what do I want?" because when you don't know what harbor you're aiming for, no wind is the right wind! and you even may lose yourself.

So I did breathe, take some time off and let myself go. And in those moments alone, I remembered the most evident. It is about the life behind MY lens and it is to whom it may concern. As written in the Prologue: "So this blog is for those who wish to go beneath the surface (at their peril)."
I cannot and I don't have to please everyone anyway and initially the creation of the blog was my first statement of I don't even want to anymore.

So; No I won't stop the articles and only put the pictures, No I won't stop the pictures and only put the articles (wtf ???), No I won't create a facebook page only for the blog, No I won't tell my life in order to catch more attention, No I won't put the where, when and how and no I don't want to make it popular. I am NOT ATTENDING the mainstream. This is limited edition, always has been and always will be.

A year ago, someone told me "A blog is even worse than Facebook, it is self-centered, all this me, myself and I stuff". Well, yes of course. It is my project, my pictures and my opinion. Feel free to join or not. One day, when I will have written many chapters, turned many pages and last but not least made my closure by writing an Epilogue, I'll print this project as a book and those who always did follow will get a copy.

As a finish line, I'll quote once more Oscar Wilde : "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken!"

3 comments:

  1. If you succeed in making everyone happy your either bound to lose yourself or to make people unhappy.. And that's the funny thing: people will ALWAYS find something to say, they exist through subconscious personal levelling in regard to their peers. Flying high is the worst thing you can do to them, the sky is a mirror that reflects the earth's condition (wwwooowww that's almost poetry..).. looking at someone that's up there hurts most (and motivates the few others) and gives them two options: to stop looking or to bring that person down.

    Dreams are meant to fly, or at least to try.. and try.. and try.

    You quoted O. Wilde.. I'll get back at you with Miley Cyrus:

    "Ain't about how fast I get there
    Ain't about what's waiting on the other side It's the climb, yeah!"



    Strange quoting a doll with a cute face and (probably, i don't know her) no brain.. but i just love the lyrics of this song.

    Anyway: A summit never makes you stronger, how you got there did. You're getting stronger.

    Take care,

    P.A (1)


    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs and blame it on you. If you can trust yourself when all doubt you. If you can give allowance to their doubting too. If you can wait and not getting tired by waiting, being lied about. Don't deal in lies. Being hated. Don't give way to hating. And yet, don't look too good, nor talk too wise. If you can dream and not make dreams become your master. If you can think and not make thoughts your aim. If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same. If you can bear the truth you've spoken twisted by the unprincipled to make a trap for fools. If you can watch the things you gave your life to, broken and stoop to build them up with worn out tools. If you can make one heap of all your winnings and risk it one one turn of a coin toss. And lose to start again at your beginnings. If you never breathe a word about your loss. If you can force your heart, your nerve, all your muscles to serve your turn long after they're gone. If you can hold on, when there is nothing in you except the will which says to them: "Hold on!". If you can talk to crowds and keep your virtue, or walk with kings and not the common touch. If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you. If all can count with you, but none too much. If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds worth of a distance run, yours is the world with everything it has to offer and much more...IF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ups! Meant "...and not LOSE the common touch." You know how I care about details, so I simply couldn't leave it hanging. And yes there is ONe spelling mistake too! So, if one pledges to read the printed word, then iGuess it is quite important to print it correctly ;)

      Delete